If you suffer from digestive problems, you know how they can impact everyday life. Sometimes as simple as going to the grocery store can become difficult because of the pain and discomfort digestive issues cause.
While many people may seek help in the form of medication, they don’t get the relief they always need. That’s where chiropractic care comes in. A chiropractor can help to rid you of the discomfort caused by different digestive problems.
How do digestive complications affect everyday life?
There are a number of common digestive conditions. From bloating to diarrhea and constipation, these issues can leave you feeling sick and not yourself. There are also other common digestive disorders that fall into the chronic category. These include:
- GERD or Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
- Acid reflux occurs when stomach acid backs up into your esophagus. It can leave you with a burning feeling in the middle of your chest. While everyone may experience this feeling from time to time, the condition is referred to as GERD when it occurs at least twice a week and interrupts your daily life.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome or IBS
- If you suffer from stomach pain or discomfort at least three times a month over a span of several months, you could have IBS. Bloating is a major symptom of IBS along with diarrhea or constipation. Certain foods like dairy, caffeine, and artificial sweeteners are known to trigger IBS. When people have IBS they may be forced to stay home because they simply don’t feel well.
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Ulcerative Colitis affects the large intestine, also known as the colon. When your immune system mistakes food or other materials as something foreign, sores or ulcers can form in the colon’s lining. As you imagine, this condition can be very painful and in the most severe cases, requires surgery.
- Lactose Intolerance
- It’s estimated that between 30 and 50 million Americans are lactose intolerant. This means they don’t have an enzyme to digest the main sugar in milk. When someone is lactose intolerant they can experience cramping, bloating, gas and diarrhea.
While these are some of the most common digestive issues, there are so many other digestive problems people face. Medication available to treat these conditions and more, a visit to the chiropractor can also relieve pain.
Can a chiropractor help with digestive issues?
When you have a pain in your back or neck, you may immediately think to visit a chiropractor. But, what about digestive problems? A chiropractor can help with these, as well. If any of the nerves in your spine are not functioning properly, you can have all types of digestion problems.
Spine alignment and digestion are intertwined. An improperly aligned spine causes stress and strain on your nerves. This makes them incapable of sending out the signals your digestive system needs to work properly. Sympathetic nerves in the thoracic and lumbar regions affect the rate of digestion as well as the parasympathetic nerves near the sacrum. If there is any misalignment, those nerves may not get the information they need to function properly and the body what to do.
As a result, you may experience acid reflux, constipation, diarrhea or other issues. These digestive problems are unlikely to go away until you relieve the stress from your nerves and properly align your spine.
How Chiropractic Care Can Ease Digestive Problems
A chiropractor can safely manipulate your spine to get your vertebrae back into place. This will get your spine aligned and your nervous system back to functioning the way it should. Once this happens, your digestive system can start working properly which means you’ll be feeling much better.
A study published in the journal International Surgery found that 66% of participants who had chronic abdominal pain had a thoracic disc herniation. About two-thirds of those patients were previously diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome.
Spinal realignment has other health benefits besides improving digestion. By realigning your spine, trapped gas can be released from the joints, and blood circulation will improve which means faster healing for you.
When you visit The Family Chiropractic Clinic, one of our licensed chiropractors will assess your digestive discomfort and develop a treatment plan customized to your needs. If you have tried medications and other remedies but still cannot get relief from your poorly performing digestive system, chiropractic care may be for you.